What does Brexit mean for driving abroad?

UK drivers planning to drive to other European countries will be required to get a 'green card' in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is a physical document that acts as evidence that the minimum legal cover required is in force for the country visited whilst driving outside the UK.

Which customers will require a Green Card?

If a deal is not reached and Britain leaves the EU without a deal and you take your vehicle to Europe, you’ll need a green card if you wish to use your UK insurance. If you are just hiring a car within the EU you won’t be required to obtain a green card as the rental company should cover you. However, if you rent a car in the UK, that you plan to use within the EU during a no-deal Brexit you will be required to have a green card.

Further information:

  • If a customer is travelling to the EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland and will return prior to 29th March 2019, they will not require a Green Card. 

  • In the event there is no deal, a Green Card will be required for all vehicles which travel in the EU after 29 March 2019 to prove that they have the required insurance, regardless of the level of motor cover provided on their policy. This is true even if they have a foreign use extension on their motor policy.

  • Customers will also require a Green Card if they’re driving from Northern Ireland to Ireland.

  • Customers travelling with a trailer must register any commercial trailer weighing over 750kg before towing them abroad from the 28th March 2019. A separately registered trailer will require a Green Card. All trailers weighing over 3,500kg must also be registered.  

What action do I need to take?

KGJ would recommend ahead of the 29th March 2019 you contact the office to ensure they’re aware of the potential need for a Green Card and the process they will need to follow should they wish to travel to the EU post the 29th March 2019.

How can I request Green Cards?

From 4th March 2019 you will be able to request Green Cards for both Personal and Commercial Lines customers via KGJ Insurance.

Please call 01902 796 796 or email us today to arrange yours.